List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Linux Format: KSpread "disaster area"
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-01-13 19:29:47

> Macro IS NOT important nor will it be for 99% of spreadsheet
> users.

I'm not so sure about that, for two reasons:

- Macros are incredibly powerful tools, and there are many situations
where ordinary spreadsheet functionality doesn't cut it.

- Although writing macros might be "hard", using a spreadsheet with
embedded macros (written by someone else) is not.  To give a personal
example, when students needed to order components for electronics
projects at my old school, they would use a template spreadsheet
containing some simple macros produced by the teacher.
Less technical users or those simply wishing to save time can also
download sample spreadsheets with built-in macros from the web.

Perhaps adding such functionality would be a good opportunity for
KSpread to score one over the competition.  By that, I mean making
macros easier to author in KSpread than other software, or a better
security model, or something else I haven't thought of.