List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Grouping of applications in Koffice
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-12-14 18:50:29

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Robert Knight wrote:

> > This is very MS-Way to bundle everything. Be warned, this only works if you
> > have near-monopoly :)
>
> My major objection to adding more applications to KOffice is that it
> will distract attention from the core apps, KWord, KSpread and
> KPresenter which are in need of a lot more work (and manpower).

I very much doubt whether any of the other apps has stolen even an hour
of developer time from kword, kspread and kpresenter. It doesn't work
that way, and perhaps it's even the other way around: because of Krita,
Casper started hacking on KPresenter. I wouldn't have had anything to
do with KOffice if it hadn't been for Krita either. Don't fall into the
fallacy of thinking that developers are a fungible resource; you cannot
say "twenty people are hacking on KOffice apps now, if there would be
only three apps, that's nearly seven people per app."

Anyway, I see as one of the strenghts of KOffice that it covers both
the traditional productivity and the traditional creativity suites.

Boudewijn