List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kivio+karbon? [Grouping of applications in Koffice]
From:       Casper Boemann <cbr () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2005-12-14 18:01:17

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 17:49, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> It is not the UNIX way only if you've assumed 'drawing diagrams with
> connector lines/putting floating text boxes/using stencil libraries'
> feature set is _different_ from just drawing app. I believe it is not.
> Things like UML Modelling features would bring a difference here, but we're
> not talking about Kivio/Umbrello merge.
Not but we are talking about features like that coming into Kivio.

> > I think that you may not understand what kivio is about. So here is a
> > link Peter gave on #koffice explaining what he would like kivio to be.
> >
> > http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
>
> Oh. I've already seen this.
> To me, this is in no way UNIX paradigm in the sense you are put here. Look:
>
> http://www.omnigroup.com/images/newimagestemp/omnigraffle/4/screenshots/bez
>ier.jpg
>
> Bezier curves in diagramming app? LOL. This is a bit like Mac Shareware
> style (or even commercial app style) like "pack it with any features that
> force customers to upgrade".
What kind of an argument is that: "All concrete is gray. This bird is gray. So
this bird must be made out of concrete"

Come on - KPresenter has bezier curves. Do you want to merge that too?

> Let's look at this from developer P.O.V.: develop a single set of libraries
> and then release two apps (if you think this is really such a difference to
> a Joe) by just hidding features in one or other app (about 5% of the
> code?). But I really think complete merge could save a few hours. The apps
> will no doubt still be strongly based on libraries...
I foresee more like 60% difference - not 5%.

Take a task like changing a treegraph into a list of sorts. Or diagramming
your computernetwork automatically. Or any number of similar tasks. Is that
truly something you think Karbon should do?

You are very biased in thinking that kivio is just objects with connectors.
Kivio will (in time) be so much more. At least that is the impression Peter
gave on irc, and from seeing what Vision does.

Just because some drawing programs have the abillity to connect objects, does
not mean they are flowcharting/visualizing/diagramming apps. It is just the
OOo and MS shitty ways of putting everything into one instead of embedding
the KOffice way.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann