List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kivio+karbon? [Grouping of applications in Koffice]
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2005-12-14 13:21:25

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 14.21, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Inge Wallin said the following, On 2005-12-14 13:10:
> > There is a great (potential?) overlap in functionality between Kivio and
> > Karbon, and there could be much more if we wanted to.  Look, for
> > instance, at Inkscape which is a vector application like Karbon, although
> > much more mature.  In the latest release it got connectors like Kivios,
> > and it is kind of what the combination of Kivio and Karbon would be.
>
> BTW, doesn't a desire for supporting OASIS format for drawings forces us to
> exactly such "OO.org Draw-like" merge of Kivio and Karbon? IIRC OO.org Draw
> has features of both apps (Inkscape you mentioned is indeed going in the
> same direction).
> I am curious what psn would say about the merge, especially after he has
> looked at OASIS support for kivio?

I asked him on IRC, and it turns out that the current versions of Kivio and
Karbon would work fine with such a merge.  However, if we take the advanced
features in the roadmap into account, it would not.  I'll let Peter, and the
Karbon people elucidate more on that.  :-)

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |