List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Grouping of applications in Koffice
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2005-12-14 12:10:16

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 11.22, Casper Boemann wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 10:26, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> > Re organizing: As I can see every single KOffice app can to organize
> > _data_, thoughts, or something like that. The same with "Creativity" -
> > why Kexi is not here? I know: because groupings have been chosen not so
> > well compared to current grouping on koffice.org.
>
> So you want Kexi in creativity. Well it will almost fit just as well there
> as it does in the main group where it is now. Like it or not Kexi is an
> outsider. Except csv import and Kross nothing is shared. And I'm sorry but
> you don't show many signs of wanting to integrate. This will leave it as an
> outsider.

The words "Productivity" and "Creativity" in this context were chosen because
they are the words that are used by MS and other vendors off office suites.
People recognize them and will know what they mean if they are familiar with
office suites in general.  The words used there before were "Core" and
"Graphics".

> I work in a company with more than 300000 office employees worldwide and
> none of us get a database RAD tool as part of out office pack. We get
> wordprocessor, spreadsheet and presentation. And that is regardless of
> which 3 offered suites we choose (sadly KOffice is not one of them).

Office suites come in many different packages.  I think that MS Office
Professional includes Access.  Most likely the management of your company
have decided that all employees need these three components and no other.
This is also most likely the case.  I am sure that if you need a database
RAD, then you will get it.

> > Another problem: Kivio and Krita: both, in most cases, to end user are
> > graphical productivity apps, why to split them? You mentioned you do not
> > see Kivio as graphical app.
>
> I said nothing of the sort. I said it's not a creativity application.

I agree.  I see it as a documentation program.  Depending on the use at your
specific organization, it can also be viewed as a supporting application like
kchart.  I believe that most often Kivio like programs will be used to create
charts that are included in text documents.

> > I can see it as specialized one; look at current tools people use: e.g.
> > oo.org Draw (Kivio competitor since they are going to share common OASIS
> > format) is both graphical app and flowcharting app for users.
>
> Sharing of  format is hardly an argument. Would you call Kexi a text editor
> you because it can export a textfile.

There is a great (potential?) overlap in functionality between Kivio and
Karbon, and there could be much more if we wanted to.  Look, for instance, at
Inkscape which is a vector application like Karbon, although much more
mature.  In the latest release it got connectors like Kivios, and it is kind
of what the combination of Kivio and Karbon would be.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |