List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Grouping of applications in Koffice
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-12-14 9:26:51

Casper Boemann said the following, On 2005-12-10 16:22:

> Hi
>
> I have been looking at our grouping of applications and I think in particular
> that Kivio don't belong in the creativity group. I see creativity much more
> like art. This goes along with the definition Adobe uses for their CS suite.
>
> I think Kivio is much more about visualizing thoughts, workflows and systems,
> than creating original artwork.
>
> So I propose a new group called "Organising" (thanks Thomas Zander) which
> should containg Kivio and KPlato, any mindmapping app that we might include
> some day, and Kexi
>
> The groupings would then be:
>
> Basic Applications
> 	KWord
> 	KSpread
> 	KPresenter
>
> Organising Applications
> 	Kexi
> 	KPlato
> 	Kivio
> 	"mindmapper"
>
> Creativity Applications
> 	Karbon
> 	Krita
> 	"video editor"
> 	"music editor"
>
> Helper Applications
> 	KChart
> 	KFormula
> 	Kugar

Casper, thanks for your idea, BUT:

"Organizing" group is a bit weird to me.
To a Joe User: does "Organising Applications" mean "tools for organizing
applications" ? Like KMenuEditor? Can you see two meanings here?

Re organizing: As I can see every single KOffice app can to organize _data_,
thoughts, or something like that. The same with "Creativity" - why Kexi is not
here? I know: because groupings have been chosen not so well compared to
current grouping on koffice.org.

Another problem: Kivio and Krita: both, in most cases, to end user are
graphical productivity apps, why to split them? You mentioned you do not see
Kivio as graphical app.
I can see it as specialized one; look at current tools people use: e.g. oo.org
Draw (Kivio competitor since they are going to share common OASIS format) is
both graphical app and flowcharting app for users.

I would say it doesn't that matter you mostly tend to "visualize thoughts,
workflows and systems" with Kivio: people look at it as "a tool for basic
vector graphics supporting connection lines". The same as with oo.org Draw.
(Kivio is not so specialized as Umbrello UML Modeller)

IIRC The current groups on koffice.org were chosen after long in-depth
thinking and discussion, looking at how users describe programs. Also "Helper"
is more developer's description compared to "Supporting". I was asumming this
work is closed now.

Having that said, I am against further changes like above. So far people I
know are accustomed with Creativity/Productivity pair.

 > 	"video editor"
 > 	"music editor"

I didnt know there're plans for such apps in KOffice...
This is very MS-Way to bundle everything. Be warned, this only works if you
have near-monopoly :)

Don't you want to think about making KOffice apps more separated, as in the
old good UNIX way, based on standards and protocols?

BTW: Bundling more apps in KOffice doesn't only mean user can feel the bloat,
but also a problem with release sycing. Rumora are, this is the case already
with Krita and Kexi.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki