List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord font kerning & Qt 4
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-08 14:39:17

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 03:18, Robert Knight wrote:
> I wondered if there are any updates on the status of KWord's
> well-known font-kerning problems and whether or not Qt 4 does deliver
> the needed changes to fix these issues.
>
> As a newbie KOffice dev, it is very frustrating for me that I cannot
> use KWord for day-to-day word processing because of these problems.
> The main issue is that I always work with the zoom level set to "Fit
> to Width", and KWord's text rendering is visually uncomfortable,
> particularly with some common fonts like Times New Roman (which I am
> required to use in essays and other reports).  That is, at 100% zoom
> level, the text renders correctly but is too small.  The errors are
> only apparent when zoomed in (something like 150% on my display).
>
> I have searched the mailing list archives but the technical details of
> the problem are somewhat unclear.

Simon (of TT) told me Qt4.2 will support WYSIWYG text editing, so in
the future we'll be able to solve this problem (after rewriting some
code in kotext).

For now I would recommend trying to get a better Times New Roman
font e.g. from a Windows installation, sadly. Another thing that might
help is to correct the DPI value of the X server, by adding e.g.
"DisplaySize 350 230" (in my case, for a 350mm x 230mm laptop screen,
measure yours to write the correct values) to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(or /etc/X11/XF86Config if you don't use xorg yet) in the "Monitor" section.
Then 100% zoom might become useable.