List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [MA ODF Accessibility Team] Report from a11y meeting 29 Nov
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-12-07 9:05:02

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Gary Cramblitt wrote:

> 1.  What capabilities are needed in X.org in order to implement a11y
> in KDE?  (I know almost nothing about X.org, but I think this means
> composite and transparency?)  What specific problems exist and are they
> fixable by Jan 2007?  Leon is on the board of X.org, so he can help to
> make things happen.
> 2.  What platforms does KOffice run under?  Sun/Solaris?  BSD?
> All Linux distros?  If not, which ones?

All Unix-based platforms with an X11 implementation -- i.e, it even runs, using X11 and fink,
on OS X, and some versions appear to run on Windows using cygwin, but I've never seen that
myself. Jaroslaw would know, I would guess.

> In addition, Leon wants to perform usability testing of KOffice.
> He wants us to supply him with the "best" version of KOffice we can manage
> to put together and also provide someone who can "hand hold" while they
> do the testing.  That person would not have to be physically present,
> but they must be reachable by phone or email and knowledgeable.  He wants
> to do this testing very soon (around end of year).  This is also an
> opportunity for KOffice to get some valuable and detailed testing results.

That would be great. He's in the USA, right? That's a bit of a problem for phone
questions and so on, given that most people are in Europe. Is our IRC channel
populated round the clock? Anyway, unless someone with broader knowledge of
all apps stands up, you can give him my email address.

We may try to create a special pre-release of 1.5 for him, there are so many
improvements that 1.4.2 would be a waste of time.

Boudewijn