List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: modifier keys.
From:       Casper Boemann <cbr () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2005-11-30 21:04:06

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 18:35, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:

> The problem I see here is that if you have guides enables and grid disabled
> and you are close to a guide but you want to place the object not on the
> guide but only close the user would disable snapping by pressing shift. But
> when this automatically switches grid on he will he has not the posibility
> to place it where he likes as the grid gets in his way.
> That is why I propsed:
>
> If grid, guide or both is on shift disables them
> If grid and guide is of shift enables guide.
>
> I see that we have here a conflict between you want to be able to position
> your object where you like so switching snapping off, or the user expects
> to toggle snap to grid by shift.
I must say that I strongly agree that the most important thing is to allow
precise positioning, so if any kind of snapping is on shift should disable.

I don't want to have to have grid turned on to be able to precisely place
objects when hitting shift. I cannot stress this enough.

I don't care what happens when grid and guide are both off. So I can live with
Zagge's version, but Thomas' is a usability nightmare.

Still even Zagge's version is hard to grasp for the regular user.

I vote for the plain and simple:
Shift disables snapping

--
best regards / venlig hilsen