List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Namespaces and class name prefix (???) (was: Re: koffice/kplato)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-22 16:09:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 14:41, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> 1) Use ONLY a class name prefix, like KW, KPT, KSpread, ...
> without using namespaces.
>
> 2) Using prefixes AND a namespaces.
>
> 3) Using ONLY namespaces. For example, KPTTask becomes Task within the
> KPlato namespace.

KWord currently uses 1 for the simple reason that I don't have many good
experiences with namespaces.  This is probably because I don't have any
C++ book new enough to actually handle them and the syntax can get pretty
weird in the header files.  Not something I find very logical, at least.

I'm having doubts if its a good idea to decide on namespaces right now.
My opinion is that if the app maintainer does not use them then forcing
them on him is not productive.
So if an app maintainer wants to use them, then thats fine.

I just don't want to introduce namespaces just for the fun of it, or even
to make all KOffice apps use the same programming model.  This is futile
anyway since all projects have slightly different rules on minor things
like member-var naming or class naming and even method naming.  Those
points probably hurt more then namespaces ever would.

In other words; the mass rename of classes in KPlato was not discused with
Dag or me (I'm the initial creator of the project ;).  I think thats the
only real problem we have here.
--
Thomas Zander