List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Namespaces and class name prefix (???) (was: Re: koffice/kplato)
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael.langerhorst () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-11-22 13:41:46

Hi all,

yesterday I removed all KPT prefixes from the KPlato classes, not changing any
namespaces or whatever - namespaces were already there. This caused some
concern whether it is a good idea to remove class name prefixes such as KPT
and whether to introduce namespaces at all.

The point of all this is to "distuingish" classes from other libraries, etc.
so that the name is unique as much as possible.

Now: we have three options:

1) Use ONLY a class name prefix, like KW, KPT, KSpread, ...
without using namespaces.

2) Using prefixes AND a namespaces.

3) Using ONLY namespaces. For example, KPTTask becomes Task within the KPlato
namespace.

Yes, I know, I have been told this was discussed on kde-core-devel (I was not
aware of this). Still, we are not kdelibs.

I am aware of at least these components that use namespaces:
Krita
KSpread
KPlato
Kexi
KChart
(KFormula, partically)
Kugar

All of these (???) except KPlato also use a class name prefix - that is, they
use option 2) prefix & namespace. KPlato uses option 3) only namespaces
(right now at least, could be reverted). The rest only use class name
prefixes.

Since consistency accross KOffice is the most important aspect I would like to
settle this question for KOffice as a whole now.

This means we will have to settle on one of the three options listed above.
(Or did I even miss an option?)

I'll send my personal opinion in a separate reply as I don't want to influence
your opinion here.

Regards,
--
Raphael Langerhorst