List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Adding a README.packagers to koffice
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-17 18:42:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 November 2005 17:27, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> Hi Thomas, hi *
>
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> >>
> >> well I was not clear, kross is capable to detect at runtime if the
> >> kross-python plugin is available, not if python is available.
> >
> > What about fixing kross so that it can detect python at runtime?
>
> IMHO that doesn't make much sense cause;
>
> 1) we would have 2 levels of dynamic loading;
> kross =(detect at runtime)=> kross {python|ruby|etc.} plugin =(detect
> at runtime)=> {python|ruby|etc.}.

From where I stand the dynamic loading of just the plugin which would then
crash if no python is actually there[1] is a mistake in implementation
which should be reconsidered.
Effectively I'd say that the dynamic binding of the plugins for ruby/etc
should not be dynamic, just their successfull loading should be.

Note that this does not at all mean you need to reprogram much, just add a
way to figure out if the plugin should be instantiated at all.

> 2) to detect if a scripting language is avaiable and if it should be
> offered Kross would need to load first all interpreter-plugins to ask
> them if they found a supported/installed interpreter. So, it would
> decrease the startup-time (at least a bit) to just ask for a simple
> boolean value...

Yeah, doing a stat("/usr/bin/python") indeed will ensure the startup time
will triple, at minimum :P
</sarcasm>

> While it would be possible, I fail to see a reason

You do?
What about making it easier to install and making taking away the risks
this initial thread started out with.
It is indeed good practice to make it easier on packagers, for the plain
and simple reason that it will take away complaints and to make sure you
don't spent hours on weird bug reports you can't reproduce.

As a simple example; take how in the most recent dot article about KOffice
people complained about KWord crashing a lot.  It turned out that gentoo
had a packaging problem.  Which really is the worst possible reason for
bad press about KOffice.

I'm sure you will agree about that :)

1) if there is no problem like a crash, or malfunction, then the problem
is unclear to me as that means this thread should not exist.
--
Thomas Zander