List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving kross(kexi/scriptingcore) in libs
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-11-02 22:40:25

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 09:28 am, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > 2.  At aKademy, the scripting guys were telling me that scripting can be
> > added to KDE applications without having to do any coding within the
> > application itself.  So I'm surprised/confused by this.
>
> But well, it depends to what you want to achieve. I am sure, the scripting
> guys were thinking about dcop, then you need to have a full support of
> dcop, so might have to do some coding :) But dcop is not a enougth for
> Krita, because we want to be able to have tools, filters, and so on
> available as scripts.

I think I was talking with Richard Dale.  To my amazement, the scripting he
was talking about was not limited to the dcop methods exposed by the
application.  They are actually able to bind to every object (or was it
widget, can't remember now) and every public method of those objects in the
application!  And if I'm not mistaken, the binding occurs at runtime, using
the RTTI, I presume.

I could be all wet, but it might be worth your while to talk to Richard before
you implement scripting in Krita.

An interesting side note.  The scripting he was describing means that script
writers must be familiar with every class and method they intend to use and
since these vary as the application code evolves, it can be quite fragile.
The Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (AT-SPI) abstracts
things.  So for example, regardless whether the widget names the method
text(), or caption(), or asString(), one can call the AT-SPI get_text()
method to retrieve the on-screen text of a widget.

The AT-SPI can be quite useful for things other than accessibility.  For
example, the ORCA screen reader has the ability to record and playback
keystrokes using the AT-SPI, so it can be used for application testing.

http://blogs.sun.com/wwalker

Of course, we won't really have AT-SPI until Qt/KDE 4, which is a shame.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)