List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [Accessibility] keyboard extensions
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-10-31 0:06:09

Thomas blogged about the new keyboard access feature in KOffice
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1580
and it was featured in the "This month in SVN" article, so I guess we should turn \
this feature on?  Currently, it has to be activated by adding the following line to \
koffice/lib/kofficecore/koMainWindow.cc  new KPanelKbdSizer(this, "mw-panelSizer");
just below the line
        setCentralWidget( d->m_splitter );
in KoMainWindow constructor.  Also, add
       #include "kpanelkbdsizer.h"
at the top.  Then "make install" in koffice/lib/kofficecore.
Take a look at the comments at top of lib/kofficecore/kpanelkbdsizer.h for all the \
features/keys this thing adds. There are few minor problems, but I don't think any \
are showstoppers: 1.  The code uses an eventFilter, which adds a slight performance \
hit.  It would be better to install the event filter only when one of the shortcuts \
is pressed (F8, Shift+F8, or Alt+F8), but the problem is that once a QDockWindow \
becomes undocked and has focus, the KAction activate() signals don't fire. 2.    \
Sizing doesn't work reliably for dock windows.  I described this in an earlier email, \
so I won't repeat here. 3.  Users can change the F8, Shift+F8, Alt+F8 shortcuts, but \
if they assign multi-key shortcuts, they won't work.  Judging from some of the code \
I've seen in kdelibs, this is a surprisingly common problem throughout KDE.  If I \
could solve the activate() signal problem for undocked QDockWindows, it would also \
solve this problem. Also, I want to change the name of the object.  Currently, its \
called KPanelKdbSizer, but that is only one of the capabilities it adds.  I would \
suggest KKbdAccessExtensions.  I'd call it KoKbdAccessExtensions, but its my \
intention to eventually port this guy into kdelibs so *all* KDE apps can benefit from \
it.  That will have to wait for KDE4 tho. Anyway, does anyone object to activating \
                the keyboard access extensions?
-- Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)KDE Text-to-Speech \
Maintainerhttp://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/index.php_______________________________________________koffice-devel \