List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OpenOffice.org bloat article
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-28 14:45:14

On 10/28/05, Robert Knight <robertknight@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd say even more: it's poor that Excel is
> > optimized here (and hardware is so fast) because otherwise we could see more
> > people convinced to databases.
>
> I consider that a poor excuse.  KSpread's memory usage and open/save
> performance does need to be improved.  Gnumeric can open the SXC
> spreadsheet mentioned in 60 seconds - which is less than half of the
> time required by OpenOffice itself.
>
> Code to reduce the memory usage by changing the storage of cell
> formatting information has already been partly written, and I'm sure
> that other aspects can be improved as well.  I am really keen to sort
> out these long-standing issues in KSpread for 1.5, as this will give
> us a solid base to build new features for the 2.0 release.

Here I would go a bit further - I'd say that improving data structures
in a way to reduce memory footprint (not the other planned changes)
should wait till we get rid of and/or fix the DOM stuff - we don't
know if the memory footprint would be an issue, because we cannot load
the big documents to test it :D

And here the main issue is that the load/save code looks kinda boring
... lines after liens of XML manipulation ... Not that I want to
discourage anyone, of course :D

Save is already implemented by a serilalized XML writer though, if I
understand it correctly - so loading shouldn't be that hard ... We
just need to analyze whether we need some information that gets saved
later on than where we need it - if not, then load should be quite
straightforward; and even if we do, we could make two passes or use
some other trick, still better than DOM-based approach.

/ Tomas