List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OpenOffice.org bloat article
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-10-27 19:58:32

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2005-10-27 21:01:

> On Thursday 27 October 2005 20:51, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>
>>Adam Treat said the following, On 2005-10-27 19:02:
>>
>>>http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=119
>

>>My version of KSpread consumed the rest of my free memory (~330MB) and
>>crashed... (funny but swap was not used very much, why?)
>

> I was unable to convince my kspread to open the xml file; its of unknown
> format.  How did you manage top open it?
>

>>BTW, I've grabbed both these test XML files last week (tested them with
>>similar results as have been presented). Later I'll use the files test
>>import/export speed of Kexi data migration module :)
>

> Hehe :)
> I hope you are not using QDom since a 200Mb XML will not load nice in any
> KOffice app as long as we are still using that one.

No, QDom is deadly technology indeed in this department... I thought about two
diffeent ways (not for this year though):

1. extend CSV import code to handle such tabular data (I mean the CSV dialog
I've previously improved a bit). Yes, this shouldn't be Kexi-dependent at all.

2. write read-only KexiDB driver to access such big files with linear cost in
Kexi directly

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska