List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OpenOffice.org bloat article
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-10-27 18:51:46

Adam Treat said the following, On 2005-10-27 19:02:

> ZDNet has an article up claiming to show extremely unimpressive performance
> for OpenOffice 2.0 when opening documents.
>
> Anyone had a look at how KOffice fares when opening these kind of documents?
> Might be good to see, as I'm sure that'll be coming...
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=119

Even is, no doubt, comparing loading data formats being (almost) memory dumps
(XLS, 2 sec) versus XML (ODS, 141 sec) is a bit questionable, I agree current
OO.org version could have flaws somewhere. I hope they have not implemented
some expotential algorighms :)

My version of KSpread consumed the rest of my free memory (~330MB) and
crashed... (funny but swap was not used very much, why?)

Some people may answer that handling thousands rows of speadsheet is a
nonsense as after converting the data to any database will result in constant
time of opening and creating. I'd say even more: it's poor that Excel is
optimized here (and hardware is so fast) because otherwise we could see more
people convinced to databases.

BTW, I've grabbed both these test XML files last week (tested them with
similar results as have been presented). Later I'll use the files test
import/export speed of Kexi data migration module :)

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska