List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord frames refactor
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-25 18:02:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 19:06, David Faure wrote:
> > QObject is too heavy weight for just wanting to do simple callbacks.
>
> I would agree if you're talking about listviewitems or some object
> that's created a big number of times.
>
> For a view manager - there will be only one instance of it per view,
> right? - I really don't see the problem with using QObject and a
> signal.

The view manager indeed is only instantiated one per view, but that is the
proxy and the interface is not really for him.
The listeners are the ones that also have to be QObjects.

Everyone that has a 'current frame' is a potential listener.  This
includes the FrameSetEdit a.o.

> It simplifies the model because you don't have to create yet another
> base class (interface) just to listen to signals from the viewmanager.

I never knew that creating more classes was a problem.  I tend to create
loads of classes, which is why I hate GCC for handling private-inner
classes so sucky :)

> Qt makes it easy, and the cost for a one-per-view object is really 0,
> so why not use the standard Qt way?

I'll come back when I have a more finished list of listeners so we can see
then.
As I said; I was under the impression that just making every class a
QObject was considered an incorrect way of working.
--
Thomas Zander