List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Good review in November Linux Magazine
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-10-25 16:38:48

Boudewijn Rempt said the following, On 2005-10-24 21:44:

> On Monday 24 October 2005 21:36, Alexander Dymo wrote:
>

>>The problem is that kugar is not a tool for office end users, it's more
>>like a tool for developers building their own application and wanting
>>report generation. Then kugar suddenly gains more value. It has nice
>>preview widget and report designer and you can integrate both in your
>>application. The user of your application will most likely not ever notice
>>that he is using kugar. He will just see report designer and
>>printed/previewed reports.
>
> In that case, Kugar shouldn't be in koshell nor in the k-menu, I think.

RFC:

Very similar issue as I had with KFormDesigner. I've moved its shortcut to
Developemnt section of K menu.

I would even say that the same with KChart, and KFormula, hence we have a
question whether "Other Applications" should be listed in the Workspace. Look
at how typical user creates and stores charts/formuals/forms/reports: he/she
will most probably use KWord/KSpread or other well-defined/well-known all as a
_container_.[*]

Looking at http://koffice.org/koshell/pics/working_2005_09.png
I can say maybe we have usability problem here too, who knows...

Chart/formulae, etc. is not itself as _a task_ that fits well within the
Workspace. For our users these are only tools, features, used to achieve given
tasks. Toolbar items. OTOH, We (and some powerusers) tend to think about the
stuff as componenets prefectly usable even outside of main apps.

Users do not think at this level. Users will tell "My word processor supports
charts / my spreadsheet supports inserting charts".

So, I would be not worried about decreasing a number of items in the KOffice
Workspace and leave only containers. At least by default (Kontact tried to do
the same with their workspace).

[*] We all know that _many_ people use, say, MS Word as a container for
_everything_ they could imagine: anything that's, and even media files. They
tend to use PowerPoint as a container for their photo collections even when
there're lots of photo manager on the market.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska