List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Inline frame in KWord broken?
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-10-21 22:27:48

On Friday 21 October 2005 04:54 pm, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> > Assuming we get most of the accessibility problems addressed, which is my
> > current goal, it would be nice to test for and report on that as well. :)
>
> Krita will, by definition, always be almost completely inaccessible to
> the partially sighted -- but the motion impaired have their rights, too.
> Is their any effort being done to make KDE accessible to the motion
> impaired, now that I think of it?

Well, I'm no expert, but typically motion impaired people use some sort of
keyboard and/or mouse pointer enhancing device.  This is why it is important
to provide "mouseless operation", since some of these devices rely on
generating keystrokes to substitute for mouse pointing.  Other approaches try
to substitute mouse pointing for the keyboard, such as Gok (GNU on-screen
keyboard) and there's the NoKey SOC project, which provides a morse code
substitute for the keyboard using a pointing device.  There's also the SOC
speech command enhancement to KHotKeys, which is included in KDE 3.5 and
which actually works!

Also, some people just have trouble with a mouse (hand shake, poor
coordination, inability to click with mouse, frame-of-reference confusion,
etc.), which again is why its important to have keyboard alternatives.

So, yes, we're working on it, but there's lots more to be done.  I'm currently
picking on KOffice because 1) it has high accessibility visibility right now
because of the Massachusetts OpenDocument decision, 2) its a key set of KDE
applications, and 3) kdelibs, kdebase, and kdeaccessibility are in freeze
right now and any enhancements I do there won't affect anything anytime soon.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer