List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord "showstopper" bugs
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-10-19 15:47:19

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, David Faure wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 October 2005 15:18, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Turns out I had only KWord bugs left yesterday... Anyway, here are the bugs I
> > thought be imporant enough to be considered showstoppers. Finally a few odt
> > bugs :-).
>
> I think we have a different definition of showstopper...
> All bugs are important. But if we don't release before they are all fixed, we never release.
> To me a showstopper is something which affects most users of an app (not
> something which only happens in very rare circumstances), and something that
> we *can* fix before releasing (i.e. without rewriting half the app).

Well, I thought it a good idea to be a bit inclusive in this stage: after all,
if we decide that a bug is fixable with the right amount of effort for a certain
release we can declare it a showstopper: if not fixed, no release. But this list
(and the previous one) was as inclusive as possible on purpose. Anything that
affects a certain number of users, mangles data or makes working with an app
impossible (like certain redraw errors in KWord, had another today).

So, for the KWord bugs, if you and Thomas decide something is not going to be fixed,
it's not going to be on the list. But it was a useful exercise to go through
all non-wishlist bugs and pick the most important ones, I think.

> > 56085: some pixel lines of the text are displayed in header and footer frames
> > when scrolling
> Yep, rounding problem. I will not revisit that ugly problem until changing the
> whole WYSIWYG implementation, i.e. until Qt4.
>
> > 57856: KWord: non-underlined characters in underlined style
> Bah, an old-XML bug. I want to switch kword-1.5 to OpenDocument by default,
> so I don't see the point in fixing that one.

So, after switching to OpenDoc we can close this bug?

> > 88776: paragraph style settings dialog option "behaviour at end of frame page"
> > does not remember settings
> Sounds easy to fix, I'll look at it.
>
> > 94308: export loses headers formatting gratuitously
> Would be nice if someone fixed it, but I don't see limitations in export
> filters as a showstopper.
>
> > 106029: Frame background color madness
> GUI change to improve usability. Would be nice, no showstopper though.
>
> > 110975: copy/paste/undo/redo behaviour incorrectly respected (this one is
> > really bad, leads to lost data)
> Fixed! This mail reminded me about that one, which is good.
> Broken copy/paste (plus broken undo) is indeed a showstopper, because
> everyone uses those features.

See! It's been a useful exercise :-)

> > 114287: massive failure to load simple ODT document
> Discussing a solution with the ODT committee, can't fix for now
> (the core of the problem being that kword doesn't implement
> paragraph+offset anchoring; not that I really think it should...)

This is an important one, I guess... What amount of time do you
think you'd need to figure out how much time you need to get this
one fixed?

Boudewijn