List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Crash bugs in KOffice
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-17 14:02:16

> What I would like to know is why the application should crash just because a
> filter does.  Isn't that the real bug?  And is there anything we can do to
> isolate filter bugs to the filters themselves?

Bug in the filter: it may crash unexpectedly because lack of testing
and/or it does not handle all those bogus documents properly. Since it
runs on the same process as the application, application also dies.

Bug in the application: document produced by the filter is corrupt and
the application can not handled it gracefully. Theoretically, that
application should not crash no matter how bad the document you throw
at it is.

OTOH, making the filter running in a separate process would be a good
task. At least it will alleviate the problem as in the first case.