List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Accessibility] Using F8 to resize panels.
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-10-17 12:46:10

On Monday 17 October 2005 03:01 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> I thought I removed the F8 shortcuts from Krita?

I haven't done an svn up in a few days.  Thanks.

> > which means user can assign different keys in the
> > shortcut settings dialog, except that if they try to assign a multi-key
> > sequence, it won't work.  The problem is that once a QDockWindow undocks
> > and has focus, the KShortcut activate() signal doesn't fire anymore, so I
> > have to handle F8/Shift+F8 in the eventFilter and I can see no reasonable
> > way to handle multi-key sequences there.  Some way to attach a KShortcut
> > to an undocked QDockWindow?  Some way to limit a KShortcut to a single
> > key sequence?
>
> That's probably quite hard to do: the QDockWindow class has some serious
> issues with focus, especially when undocked. It also has serious issues
> with layout management, docking and undocking and moving.

It is interesting that in Qt4 Designer, QDockWindow and QSplitter aren't
available in the tools palette.  Maybe that was a conscious decision by the
Trolls to discourage their use?

It seems that undocked QDockWindows, being separate topLevel windows, don't
play nice.  I get the sense from this and discussion yesterday on IRC that
there is a desire to rework the dock window and toolbar GUIs, but nothing
firm yet.  My advice: please keep accessibility in mind when
redesigning/reworking these.

Except for accessibility and focus issues, from a user's perspective of a few
weeks now, they aren't that bad. Which is why I'm motivated to write
kpanelkbdsizer. :)

> > 4.  While on the handle of a dockwindow, you can press F6, which will
> > attempt to put focus on the dock window.  Interestingly, this permits
> > focus to go to the palette tabs, which otherwise can't be reached using
> > normal tab order. It seems to me that the tabs on palettes should be able
> > to get focus by tabbing.  Is this a defect?
>
> Well... I did some work especially to prevent KDE from automatically
> assigning shortcuts to the tabs (that would always conflict with shortcuts
> to the menubar) and to prevent the dockwindows from grabbing focus. One
> problem was that when setting a value in a dockwindow, the dockwindow would
> have keyboard focus, and ctrl-z would undo the value in the edit control in
> the docker, instead of sending undo to the main window. I'm not sure I
> solved this right, though.

Do you recall where in the code you were doing this?  I'm no expert, but I'd
like to understand it better.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)