List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 1.4.1 Accessibility Assessment
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-10-15 17:55:08

On Friday 14 October 2005 08:59 am, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Re Kexi a11y analysis:
>
> I shouldn't be surptised you run Kexi 0.8, but notice that Kexi has two
> branches: bundled with KOffice and unbundled (it appears this strategy has
> manydisadvantages). First I would propose to run Kexi from SVN or at least
> 0.9, instead of ~one year old Kexi 0.8.1. I noticed a few issues could have
> already been fixed in Kexi 1.0-pre.

KOffice 1.4.1 was the latest "stable" release at the time I began doing the
evaluation.  It will be some time before latest release makes it into
distros.  If there are identified issues that have since been fixed, we can
note that in the report.

> - "The Choose Project dialog is larger than the screen."
>
> Is this 800x600 screen? Tu run apps with such complicated GUIs when large
> fonts are set, may need using larger resolutions and larger displays,
> right?

As mentioned in the Overview in the beginning, 1024x768.  Higher resolution
without a larger physical monitor screen just makes everything smaller again,
which defeats the purpose of the larger font sizes of the theme.  I have
mixed feelings about most of the "widget is cutoff" or "dialog is too large"
items I reported.  At the large font size of the tested theme, its pretty
challenging to get everything to fit on the screen; probably simply not
achievable for many of the dialogs.  It could be argued that a low-sighted
user should have a LARGE monitor (say minimum 21 inches), and I'd have to
agree that is a reasonable expectation.  That said, there seem to be some
layout problems in some of the dialogs; problems that I'm guessing are in the
Qt layout engine, but I haven't been able to get a firm understanding of the
problem or what is wrong.  For example, on my system, even with the default
settings and theme, the File Open/Save dialog consistently sizes itself wider
than my screen, and I can see no good reason for this.  It might have
something to do with me running multiple versions of KDE apps under the same
X server, i dunno.

I was thinking about expanding on the whole issue of screen resolution in the
Conclusions sections, stating for example, that low-sighted users should
acquire the largest monitor screen they can.

> - "The buttons above the Project Navigator panel (left-hand panel of the
> main screen) are too small."
>
> These are toolbar buttons with friendly text labels. Are these smaller than
> toolbar buttons on your computer?

My screen matches your screenshot here:

http://www.kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?Accessibility

The point of the item is that the Project Navigator buttons are smaller than
the main toolbar buttons.  Its a judgement call if that is a problem for
low-sighted users.  Given that it does seem to be adjusting their size
according to the theme, I can be be pursuaded to remove the item from the
report.

> - "The text of the Property Editor is way too small making it difficult to
> read." - "The "Row" and "of" labels on the Data View and Query View
> toolbars are too small."
>
> I tested this and you're right. All similar bugs will be squashed.

:)

> - "The background color of the SQL Query Text box in the Text View has a
> dark blue background with black text when it does not have focus, making it
> almost invisible."
>
> We need to report/fix this within Kate Part's default settings.

Its my plan to collect all the kdelibs accessibility problems I can identify
and report them all together to kde-core-devel mailing list, rather than
filing individual bugs, or is that a bad approach?

> - "The Help menu item on the main menu is obscured by the view buttons."
>
> Screenshot please?

Attached.  Notice the four buttons in the upper righthand corner that are on
top of the "Help" menu item.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer