List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: 1.4.2 done. Next version?
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-13 6:44:36

On 10/12/05, Inge Wallin <inge@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> First of all I would like to discuss the number of the next version. During
> most of our chats on irc and in various mails, we have consistently called
> the next version "1.5.0".  However, I would like to make the case for "2.0"
> instead.

Like most other people in this thread, I would prefer to call the next
version 1.5. And 2.0 should be the KDE4 one.

I don't think that we have enough to justify 2.0 anytime soon -
although we'll see - and that rushing version numbers is not a good
idea. Besides, we don't really have much to offer - you say,
OpenDocument. Well, I personally have my doubts whether it'll be
production-quality in, say, six monthes. Maybe beta-quality at best,
if we manage to put all the features in.

As for 1.5, as far as KSpread goes, I think it already has enough for
1.5 :) There's my SoC project, the new formula parser and function
manager, which is a nice improvement - in my opinion at least. And
there are numerous other small improvements.

No idea about other apps, but I reckon they were not fully stagnant
either, so I believe that even January would be a not-so-bad date for
a new release (1.5, Qt3-based) ? Given that 1.4 has been a branch for
quite some time, so there already were like 4 or 5 monthes of 1.5
development ...

/ Tomas