List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Accessibility] Splitter sizing using F8
From:       Alan Horkan <horkana () maths ! tcd ! ie>
Date:       2005-10-11 22:04:38

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:56:57 +0200
> From: Boudewijn Rempt <boud@valdyas.org>
> To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@kde.org>
> Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Splitter sizing using F8
>
> On Monday 10 October 2005 14:26, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> > On Monday 10 October 2005 03:55 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > Is F8 mandated by some standard? Anyway, the use of F8 here in Krita is
> > > purely gratuitous, so I'll change that.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any official standard.  Like I said, both GNOME and Java
> > SWT are using F8 for splitter sizing, so its one of those "de facto
> > standards".
> >
> > I recommend avoiding any unqualified Fn keys if possible.  F7 is commonly
> > used for cursor positioning in browsers for instance, and F6 is often used
> > for navigation across frames where Tab won't work.  See, for example, the
> > Mozilla Keyboard Navigation Proposal.
>
> Good point, although here we're in a bit of a quandary, when we also want to
> support the default keyset of Photoshop and similar applications.

Presumably at some point we will want to allow multiple keyboard shortcut
profiles for applications like Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Fireworks,
Corel, Xara, etc ...

... but I am not volunteering just yet (and even if I did some ongoing
maintainance would be required) and it is more important to get good
defaults to cut down on work in the long run.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/