List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Guides and rulers [was Re: KPresenter usability review.]
From:       Tim Beaulen <tbscope () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-30 8:07:41

Yeah, I was working on splitting KoRuler into a KoBaseRuler (with all
the common stuff), a KoTabRuler (used for tab based text editing) and
a KoGuideRuler (used for dragging guidelines in graphic editors)

I don't know if that's the correct approach though.

I have at the moment succesfully splitted KoRuler into KoBaseRuler and
KoTabRuler and updated all programs making use of KoRuler to use
KoTabRuler (which is nothing more than substituting KoRuler with
KoTabRuler). It's not commited yet as I wanted to post the complete
patch set here for review first.

But if someone has any objections of the way I'm working now, please tell me.

The reason I wanted them split are:
- In Krita or Karbon, there's no need for tabs, so using a ruler class
with all the tab based functions in it is a bit "dirty" in my opinion.
It makes it also a bit more difficult I guess to read the header
files.
- They look a little bit different, although that doesn't necessary
need to be so in the future.

Keeping track of tab positions or guidline postions is pretty much the
same. Only, tabs can be left, centered, right etc... while guidelines
just have a position.

When I look at it differently, it's also possible to create a
KoSimpleRuler base class (which only has guideline support), and a
KoAdvancedRuler class (which has all the tab positioning functions).