List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Really bad review of KOffice 1.4.1
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-19 15:58:04

On Saturday 17 September 2005 22:10, Werner Trobin wrote:
> Last time I checked (almost two years ago, *sigh*) OpenOffice did not convert
> MS Word documents to some intermediate representation to import this
> intermediate representation (e.g. a native OO.o file), but it directly reads
> MS Word files into internal data structures of the Writer.
>
> Therefore I doubt that you can easily separate the filter logic from the
> Writer without duplicating a lot of the writer's functionality in that
> separate component.
>
> I don't know if that has been changed with the move to Open Document (did that
> already happen for OO.o?), but you can check the code at sw/source/filter/ww8
> in their public CVS repository.

I'm 99% sure that this is still the case. OpenDocument isn't very different from
the OOo-1.x format, so the switch to OpenDocument (which has happened for OOo-2.x, yes)
was no reason to rewrite any of the MSWord code - especially since it's completely
independent from the xml file format, as you know.

You also said:
> 1) IIRC it is possible to invoke OpenOffice from the command line and ask it
> to convert some given file.

Really? I never heard about that.

So, what's the outcome of all this? Is Kent going to sponsor Werner for finishing libwv2? ;-)