List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Really bad review of KOffice 1.4.1
From:       Martin Ellis <martin.ellis () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-09-18 19:43:32

On Sunday 18 Sep 2005 18:41, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Guys! Don't go there! I really believe that Marco honestly misunderstood
> Boudewijn's statement -- I did as well. Please, factor in, that many of us
> are not native English speakers (which is true both about Marco as well as
> about myself) and sometimes slightly too much complicated English statement
> can be misunderstood.

OK.  It's not the misunderstanding that annoyed me the .  I'm normally quite
happy to take the 'gist' (basic idea) of what someone says, without fussing
too much over the detail.  I'm not flaming just because somebody's English
might not be completely perfect!

> There is no need to accuse somebody from "misquoting
> Boudewijn" or saying that somebody's statements are not true, because of
> these sound to me very much like accusation of lying.

As I've said, it's was the action of telling Boudewijn he was wrong without
providing an alternative answer that I considered to be somewhat rude...

> I believe that everybody participating in this
> discussion tries to do best for KOffice (as much as he/she sees the best
> way how to do it) and we all should try to see each other as collaborators

... and if people are being rude it can sometimes be hard to see them as
collaborators.
Particularly, comments like the following, despite KOffice's efforts to
improve end user experience (that I've already listed) really don't make me
enjoy such 'collaboration':

  "Honestly, this attitude just contributes to keep Free Software so often
   relegated in some sw-geeks-only corner."

  "many developers simply fail to understand questions and needs
   of end users"

So, sorry if anyone found my response over the top - I hope you'll understand
what prompted it now.  Maybe Marco's approach wouldn't be considered rude in
Italian culture - please factor in that many of us are not native Italians :)

Martin