List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Embedding in KOffice
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-06 9:25:21

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 09:23, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 July 2005 20:06, David Faure wrote:
>
> > KoDocument::paintContent, the virtual method that embedded parts must
> > reimplement, has zoomX and zoomY parameters. This is supposed to be the
> > solution for this, it's just that not all parts implement zooming, and
> > those that do don't necessarily implement paintContent correctly.
>
> I guessed something like this. Maybe we can hammer out a specification for the
> implementation of paintContent -- or is there one already and have I missed
> it?

I don't know of more than the API docs.

> > Hmm, well, the activate-on-dbl-click code is in the apps, you don't have to
> > use it, so I see no problem there.
>
> I must have missed something here: isn't it necessary to use koFrame for
> embedding KOffice parts? And that seems to send a partActivateEvent to the
> view.

No, it catches the one sent by the view.
KWChild::hitTest in kword/kwpartframeset.cc shows how the app has full control
over when a part gets activated.

> Besides, this would make it hard to work with layers, where you want each
> layer to render itself with transparency, because the composition will be
> done by the host application. Maybe the problem is that going through a
> QPainter is a pain; I just need a QImage with transparency. The compositing I
> must do myself.

Well, Qt4 allows to use QPainter to draw onto a QImage, this might be a solution?

> <!DOCTYPE kpartgui SYSTEM "kpartgui.dtd" ><kpartgui name="Krita" version="9">
> <DockWindow name="controldocker" type="slider|tab|toolbox">
> 	<DockWidget name="blabla"/>
> </DockWindow>

OK, Simon and I were thinking about a possible simpler concept than XMLGUI
for KDE4, so let's postpone that part of the discussion :)