List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Minutes of the KOffice meeting
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-05 14:05:13

Hi,

>They start by saying what licence the program has, then listing its authors.

> In my opinion, that's not particularly friendly for users.  We say it's 'free'
> on the front page - I bet there aren't many who care whether KSpread is GPL
> or LGPL.

I agree, looking at the koffice.org website, the other big issue that
struck me is how inaccessible the binary packages are (you have to go
through EIGHT links to get one of the RPMs)

I think that ideally, the 'work-flow' for a user trying to get the
latest KOffice would be something like:

- User selects distro & version from combo-box dropdowns on the front
page of the site.
- This takes the user to a distro-specific page which tells the user
the easiest way to get the latest KOffice for their distro - it should
also provide a link to the binary packages contributed by KDE users or
distro pacakgers.

On the development side, the front-page should also include a call for
developers, artists etc, rather than just the little "Get Involved"
link on the left hand side.

If someone would be willing to help with providing the "get KOffice"
instructions for the various distros, I could put some time into this?

Regards,
Robert.