List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread: A-functions
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-05 6:40:12

On 8/4/05, Tapio Kautto <eleknader@phnet.fi> wrote:
> Tomas,
>
> The difference is how they evaluate non-numeric and boolean values.
> It has nothing to do with empty cells.

Hmpf. I see. Looks like a typical case of me hitting the reality.
Y'know, the plan was, let's make it so that value types don't matter
at all, and so that they can be auto-converted as needed. Most
interpreted languages do it that way. Everybody likes it. Yet, when I
try to do something similar, it's a bad idea. Hmpf.

Oh well ... Time to get back to reality ... So, as far as I see it,
the following modifications are necessary ...
- statistical functions using AVERAGE should use AVERAGEA instead,
same for STDEVA
- SUMA must go back
- A-functions need to be modified so that they ignore empty cells
- non-A-functions need to be modified so that they ignore empty cells,
bool values and strings.

The reason why this behaviour is necessary is still beyong me, but oh well ...

> By the way, there is no function named SUMA, you got me fooled there, my brains
> are still on holiday :)

There was/is such function in KSpread, so it seems.

/ Tomas