List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Wrestling with Karbon
From:       Jaham <jaham () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-07-31 15:11:33

Hi...

I followed the development of koffice for a few month now and decided to spend
some time to help.
I started to look around in Karbon's code and got to the point where i could
make some improvements to the layer view. But i got the following problem
that seems to be too deep to change easily. The problem i have has to do with
the state of the karbon objects (VObject derived classes).  It seems that the
different possible states could not be combined to describe an complex object
state. It is not possible to have an object that is locked and selected at
the same time. So if one locks an object form the layer view and selects it
from the document view, the object is not locked anymore. Some of these
problems are coded around by using states like VObject::hidden_locked or
VObject::normal_locked.
So i propose to use a bitfield or something similar to describe the state of
an object. So that one can set the state for instance to VObject::hidden |
VObject::locked ot to VObject::locked | VObject::selected to combine
different states.
Cause setting and getting the state of an object is used all over the code, i
ask you if this change is ok before putting any more effort into it.

Kind regards,
Jan Hambrecht