List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Spell checker, hyphenation and thesaurus
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-07-05 13:30:31

El Martes 05 Julio 2005 14:42, Tamas Szanto escribió:

I suspect you sent the mail to the wrong list.
The correct one should be koffice-devel@kde.org, which I have added in CC
to this reply.

> I'd just like to know the status of these tools. I think some more
> improvements would be necessary, as the maintainance of these resources
> is a bit more difficult than it could be.
>
> Spell checker:
>
> Is KSpell2 going to fully replace KSpell in KDE starting from KDE 3.5?
> In this case please send a notification to this list when these new code
> is complete, some language teams may want to check the new interface
> with their existing spelling dictionaries.
>
> Is anyone working on an OO (MySpell) spelling plugin for KSpell2?  If
> not, please  make it a priority, it's very important for many language
> teams.
> MySpell is a variation of Ispell, so at least theoretically a MySpell
> plugin wouldn't differ much from the Ispell module.
>
> Is there any chance of adding Enchant
> (http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/) support to KDE in the
> future? Or is there a conclusion that it's not fit for use in KDE? If
> someone could implement it as a KSpell2 plugin, MySpell dictionaries
> would become instantly accessible from KDE.
>
> Hyphenation in KOffice:
>
> As far as I know at the moment there's no easy way to use the
> (physically) same hyphenation dictionary in OO and KOffice. If the
> location of the spelling dictionaries was user selectable, the built-in
> hyphenation dictionaries eventually could be omitted from the KOffice
> packages and distribution maintainers could make these files shared
> between the two programs.

I think the hyphenation code is based libhnj, which uses "dictionaries"
derived from those available for TeX.
The ditctionaries are not that large, by the way. English is probably one of
the worst languages to hyphen, and the dictionary is under 80K.
More regular languages are much smaller (e.g Italian is under 3K, and, the
commit log says it has been synced with oo 13 months ago.). Also I doublt
these will change much in the future.

It would be cool to have the hyphenation code in kdelibs, hyphenation is not
useful in a word processor only.

For example, I'd very much like to have hyphenation enabled in kmail, in the
help browser and (maybe as an option) in khtml.