List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    oodraw and karbon [was Re: koffice-devel Digest, Vol 27, Issue 36]
From:       Alan Horkan <horkana () maths ! tcd ! ie>
Date:       2005-06-28 19:42:01

[sorry for breaking the thread, I'm on the list digest]

> Subject: Re: koffice [TODO] karbon 14
> To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@kde.org>
>
> On Monday 27 June 2005 23:58, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >

> > The Karbon file format already looks relatively close to OODraw, I hope
> > Karbon will follow the rest of Koffice on this.
>
> Yes, I am looking into this also. On that matter, it appears OODraw 2.0 saves
> all its shapes as <draw:custom-shape> (this allows glue points, text and
> other nifty things). I think we should follow the same logic there. Comments?

I dont like how it takes them even futher away from SVG and I'm not
convinced it is entirely necessary.  At least with the old format there
was some chance of it being repurposed as <svg> with extras.  At least
that way if you took the maindoc.xml (or equivalent) and throw it at an
SVG renderer you'd still get something intelligable. (I've always like how
XML when used properly can degrade cleanly and still be interpreted by
older tools.)

I liked the OpenOffice file format quite a lot because it reused so many
existing standards.  I'm liking the Open Document format less and less
for a variety of reasons not worth going into right now.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan.