List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: toolbar button doubleclick?
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-06-15 20:25:44

Aaron J. Seigo said the following, On 2005-06-15 07:45:

> On Tuesday 14 June 2005 04:26, Thomas Zander wrote:
>
>>Don't you agree that that huge group of people that don't understand when
>>to use single click and when to use double click will get into trouble?
>

> that's the general axiom: double click is evil.
>
> middle click is likewise a bit odd, if only because it's hidden behaviour your
> don't find elsewhere. not sure what one could do in this situation, though i
> know i have seen double-click-means-stay-selected. if one can't come up with
> a clean solution, then go with the least dirty, best known one?

I've first encountered 'double-click-means-stay-selected' behaviour with VB
0.1 back in 1991 or so and then in other apps having including Delphi.

'stay-selected-by-default' mode is convenient when you're going to insert many
(here: widgets) of the same type. Otherwise you need always to click the
'arrow' tool after inserting, and obviously you will forget it if you're
average user. For historical reasons I found
'double-click-means-stay-selected' reasonable to be added later, along with
'CTRL+CLICK-means-stay-selected' which is my near TODO.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team