List:       kplato
Subject:    [kplato] Re: Summer of Code Project for KOffice Component Framework
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-06-13 21:37:09

On Monday 13 June 2005 08:24, Tomas Mecir wrote:
> On 6/12/05, Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at> wrote:
> > attached is a Summer of Code proposal I would like to send it to
> > Google. Please review and give some feedback.
>
> Hmmm... The idea looks nice, but I really think (and judging from
> the google's faq, they think it too), there should be some more
> specifics. What are you trying to achieve ? How is it supposed to
> work ? Maybe also a bit of an architecture overview, that you are
> planning to implement - if possible ...
> Really, from what you describe, I have no idea how is this thing
> supposed to work. :(
>
> / Tomas

[resending this in clear text, takes less kB]

Hmmm... ;) the _how_ exactly needs some more fine planning, the
general idea is written down in the proposal. Please tell me ASAP if
you still think there is something missing.

Regards,
Raphael

This is my current proposal:

Summer of Code Project
Improving KOffice Component Framework - Document Embedding

1. Mentors
Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>

2. Applicant
Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at>

2.1. Software development skills and experience
I can speak C/C++ fluently, know Java very well, can write some
assembler and have some experience with scripting languages like
shell and python. Additionally I have experience in leading Open
Source projects (see below)

Some of my completed projects:
2001-2002: Complete 3D Engine with level editor based on DirectX,
written in C++.
2002-2003: Intelligent Navigation System for robots, implemented in
Java.

Some of my ongoing projects:
started 2002: G System, virtual reality. I am one of the two
initiators and the main developer. I wrote most of the code and I
take care of team management. It builds on Qt/KDE technology:
http://www.g-system.at
started 2004: Contribution to the KDE and in particular to the KOffice
project. I would now like to get more involved into this through the
Summer of Code project.

3. Overview

KOffice is an integrated office suite directly built on the KDE
technology. It extends the integration capabilities of KDE to allow
good KOffice component/document integration. It is lightweight, yet
offers a complete set of office components - more than any other
commonly known office suite.

http://www.koffice.org

4. Project Proposal

There is only limited control over what information of an embedded
document is presented in the parent document. In particular there is
no control over what part of the embedded document gets presented. To
allow finer control over presented content the common component
framework needs to be extended to allow additional embedding
configuration.

The idea is to extend the component library with an additional
configuration framework that allows for fine tuning the presentation
of the embedded document. The required code changes are extending the
core libraries with a generic interface for creating and managing the
presentation options for embedded documents. Each KOffice component
then needs to honor this interface and present its content according
to the desired configuration in the parent document.

Additional care must be taken to honor these settings in the file
format.

5. Vision

It is currently easily possible to integrate flow charts and diagrams
into presentations, spreadsheets into text documents (or any other
way round), even in multiple depths. You can even have a database
frontend (Kexi) inside a spreadsheet (KSpread).

KPlato (K Planning Tool) is a project management component still under
development and it will be included in the next major KOffice
release. A desired goal is to allow for example KWord, the text
processor, to include various pieces of information about a project
by means of embedding the KPlato component. The text document should
be able to selectively show different pieces of information of the
project, the Gantt chart, resources,  general project infos, etc.
This also applies to spreadsheets for example and a lot of other
things. To achieve this, the component framework needs to be
extended. This allows very flexible automated report generation for
example, in particular in connection with the DCOP interface.