List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Spreadsheet formulas
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-07 9:15:22

> IMHO the best approach would be to stay 1:1 compatible with Excel
> where Excel does it right. This means for first step we would need many
> test cases (compared against Excel), and since we need to know what
> Excel calculates, means that we need to store them in .xls format.
> Of course, when Excel does it wrong, then we need to deviate.

I forgot to add something:

Since we are interested to what Excel calculates (for reference), we need to
prepared test cases in XLS files. However, after these files are ready, it is
OK to convert them, e.g ODS format. But the XLS format is better because
two reasons:
- we need to check whether those functions are imported properly
(filter issue)
- if tests are to be modified or added, we need to do it in Excel again
(remember, Excel result as reference) so those ODS files need to be
reconverted again (round trip) which is inconvenient

If there is another solution which allows us to know what Excel calculates
and easily modify the test cases, then file format does not matter at all.

Best regards,

Ariya Hidayat