List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    FWD: [discuss] Running OO.o macros in other KOffice?
From:       "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2005-05-20 10:58:23

Greetings,

I had already asked this here one year ago, but now that:

* OpenDocument has become an OASIS standard
* has been submitted to ISO
* is considered with great interest in the European Union
* OO.o 2.0 and KOffice 1.4 are coming

the subject is much more relevant.

At some point OO.o and KOffice end users will start exchanging .odt
files with macros, because since "it's the common native file format"
they'll give for granted that macros will work, because they're into
the file, and it's the same format, isn't it?

Now I hope to write an article on this.

This is more or less where the discussion stopped last year on the
koffice list:

> On Thursday 27 May 2004 10:48, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> > OASIS compatibility means that KOffice simply has to integrate the
> > StarBasic language, or whatever they call it today. Or not?

I got this answer:
> At some point it also makes sense to reuse our own technologies
> instead of putting another man-year of efforts reimplementing a
> scripting language....

To which another developer replied:

>Does this mean that KOffice is going to have in-document scripts/
>macros in the future or does this is still an external script
>accesing by DCOP?
>If it is an in-document macro, we should change the FAQ, as it would
>mean a change of policy.

What is the situation now?

How complicated would it be to add OO.o macros support to KOffice?

(note that I'm NOT asking to you to do it, I'm just interested in
defining the problem and its solution, regardless of who would do it
and when)

Is it possible? How? How much big of a task would it be?
Which kind of work should be done?
Which part of the OO.o codebase should be imported? Is it possible
license wise, to use it into a GPL program? Or should it be
implemented from scratch? If so, where are the specs?

Which other technologies does it depend on? Java, anything else?

In general, what is the relevant KOffice documentation to read, for a
developer?

I have already asked the same questions on the OO.o developers list, but
obviously any comment from you is also greatly appreciated.

Ciao,
	Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Knowledge is not information, it's transformation- Osho