List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Bug 87471: CSV import for KSpread
From:       inge () lysator ! liu ! se
Date:       2005-05-18 19:44:03

In filters/kspread/csv/csvimport.cc, line 154, there is the following
comment:

see KSpreadCSVDialog::accept(), Tomas introduced the Generic format
between KOffice 1.3 and 1.4 the Insert->External Data-> ... dialog uses the
generic format for everything (see mentioned method) I will use this approach
only for the TEXT format in the CSV import filter... (raphael)
### FIXME: long term solution is to allow to select Generic format
("autodetect")
in the dialog and make it the default

Followed by the following code:

    case CSVDialog::TEXT
               cell = sheet->nonDefaultCell( col + 1, row + 1, false, s );
               cell->setCellText( text, true );

               cell->setFormatType (Generic_format);

               /* old code
              cell = sheet->nonDefaultCell( col + 1, row + 1, false, s );
              cell->setCellText( text, true );
               */

Basically this means that it is impossible to import data that looks like
numbers as text.  Why was that change made, and should it remain this way?
 I am very tempted to revert the change, since otherwise there is no way
to fix 87471.  Comments?

	-Inge