List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice Logo (Fwd: konqi in office idea)
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-16 15:43:07

On Monday 16 May 2005 17:12, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I contacted basse who made the new Konqi blender model and shared some
> ideas about a KOffice logo with him (see attached email), looks like
> he's quite fast with blender :) so there is already a "sketch"
> available... feedback welcome.
>
> I have uploaded the images here:
> ftp://ftp.g-system.at/people/raphael/tmp/koffice_icons/Logo/

Hi!

I am no artist (just ask my art teachers :-), but while this image is kind of
nice, it won't work as logo. It simply is way too complex.

Did you ever wonder why companies like Intel, IBM, Microsoft, HP, Compaq,...
have "primitive", two-dimensional logos which almost look like a plain text
version of the name? I doubt the reason is that they didn't have enough money
for good designers...

If you want to be extremely fancy you might add a simple two or three color
graphic element to the text, but definitely not more. The Red Bull logo comes
to my mind, a very well known brand all over the world. It's more "dynamic"
than the IBM logo, because the image of the brand is different.

Right now I can't think of any successful brand (no matter which industry)
with a complex logo, and definitely not a three dimensional one.

Just my two cents,
Werner