List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Handling OpenDocument/OO.o "extensions"
From:       "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti () mclink ! it>
Date:       2005-05-13 8:03:03

Greetings,

One of the consequences of going towards OpenDocument as the native
format for Koffice (which is an excellent thing, thanks!) is that
eventually we should not talk anymore of "OO.o templates" but of
"OpenDocument templates". In other words, that installing one of those
templates makes it automatically visible and usable to OO.o, KOffice
and any other "OpenDocument-aware" application in the system.
Regardless of which Office suite was used to create it. Ditto for
clip-art.

There is a discussion on this going on at discuss@openoffice.org:

      http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=discuss&msgId=1965358

To sum it short, I and others are asking that OO.o contributors make
it easier to others to automatically re-package this kind of stuff in
the native format of their favourite *nix system: provide info on
dependencies, do not pretend that a whole OO.o or other binaries are
available just to install a few templates or icons, etc...

I also hope to write an article on this.

What do you think? Do you have any particular comment, request,
suggestion?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right
                                           Salvor Hardin , "Foundation"