List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KFormula LaTex Input parser
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-26 8:15:57

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 03:22, Brian Bockelman wrote:
> Today I started thinking about one of my KFormula mini-projects, a
> LaTex importer.  For those of you a bit more experienced in the
> development of KOffice, which do you think is better:
> (a) Importing straight from LaTex to a formula tree, or
> (b) Importing from LaTex to XML, then building the formula tree from there.

We usually prefer filters to be standalone, i.e. solution (b).
This makes the filter usable from the command-line (koconverter),
it makes it a loadable module (see the filter howto on koffice.org) so
it doesn't bloat up the application itself, and it makes it independent of
the application's design, so it's possible to rewrite the internals of the
application without having to port all filters. The only downside is that
it's a little bit slower, but well, how big are the biggest formulas? :)