List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    koffice in non-cpp
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-15 10:47:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

After reading this:
http://lwn.net/Articles/130796/

I notice that my favourite language is going to be mature and part of gcc4
(which was scheduled for release today).
I want to put up the thought for consideration to have faster development by
using a higher-level language in the KOffice project.  Like Java. The
resulting binaries will still be loadable libraries, you just need a newer
version of your compiler suite :)

In effect this seems quite nice for me:
> CNI makes it easy to mix and match code and classes written in C, C++ and
> Java by allowing you to write some methods of a class in C++ and to catch
> and throw exceptions directly to and from parts of the program written in
> different languages.
Neat; eh?

I have stopped programming on KOffice for more then one reason; but
slow-compiles and a non-garbage-collecting language are both very high on
my list.  I have been programming Java for 6 years now, and I enjoy
creating things like this: http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/972, but
I would never be able to create something like that in C++.

The gcj part of gcc4 is not out or perfect yet;  but neither is koffice 1.5.
So; I'm probably going to spend some energy on this, I'll let you know how
things fare from time to time :)

--
Thomas Zander