List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Manuals, the code freeze and the move to subversion
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-11 14:09:44

On Monday 11 April 2005 14:53, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 11 April 2005 12:51, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > > And also, what about the imminent move to Subversion?  The timing of
> > > the move is terrible for KOffice. I thought the move was supposed to be
> > > done yesterday, but I haven't seen anything.  Will there be a tutorial
> > > so that we who have never used subversion can get quickly up-to-date?
> > > WIll we have to recompile everything?  Do we have to check out
> > > everything again and recompile?
> >
> > As I had experienced, we're still with CVS.
> >
> > For quick start with subversion, just check:
> > http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/subversion/
> > http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Subversion+HOWTO
> >
> > I found out everything is very easy (the tricky part for me was to
> > install the subversion client itself).
> >
> > As for recompile, I'm afraid the answer is "yes" :-(
>
> If you compile src =! build then you can just modify your directores to make
> it find the build files again.  Should avoid you building again...

I doubt it. This would only work if the timestamps were untouched...
Well, I haven't tried, but at least with CVS the timestamp is the one of the
checkout, not the one of the last commit. Which makes sense of course,
e.g. if you checkout, compile, modify a file, compile, revert, compile
 -> you want a newer timestamp, not an old one that make won't notice.

Anyway, it's a good time to detect build problems when compiling koffice from scratch :-)