List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    libspreadsheet
From:       john () geola ! co ! uk
Date:       2005-03-13 3:38:24

Hi all,
  I want to propose a merge with gnumeric.  They are several man years ahead
of us, and have a bigger team.  Nuff said - no more convincing needed I hope.

  The proposal is this:

  * Split kspread into MVC as proposed already in DESIGN.
  * From gnumeric code, create a glib dependant libspreadsheet.  This will be
the MV (model & view)
  * kspread will be the C - the controller written in KDE/QT.
  * gnumeric will the C also - the controller written in GTK

Notes:
  * We would have to switch to GPL.  But considering the huge gains, I really
think we should go for it.
  * We would have to depend on glib.  I do not see this as a bad point since
glib is 0.5 MB, and gnumeric is 20MB, so the glib would be an order of
magnitude smaller than the libspreadsheet
  * We have the backing from gnumeric people.
  * I would spend a large amount of effort on this.  Hopefully my code on the
quad tree will have gained your trust :)  *grins*
  * There are obviously a few technical points to iron out, but I don't so
 far see anything we can't overcome..

I suspect that having to switch to LGPL is going to be the biggest deal, so I
would like to ask if anyone has any suggestions, and also ask what reasons we
have for making kspread LGPL and not GPL.

Thanks for your time

JohnFlux