List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 1.3.6?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2005-03-02 13:18:02

On Monday 28 February 2005 21.43, Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2005 18.29, David Faure wrote:

> > The problem is that I don't know how much time we need for OASIS support
> > to be complete in order to switch to it as native file format, and only
> > then releasing.... Maybe a safer approach would be to ship 1.4 with OASIS
> > as an optional import/export option (like it is now), but that goes a bit
> > against what we promised for 1.4.
>
> I would like that a lot.
>
> OASIS support will take a lot of time to get right.  I think that KOffice
> 1.3 has a lot of issues that are fixed in HEAD, and these issues are
> keeping the users from liking KOffice. We need to keep the momentum going,
> to cite Boudewijn Rempt.  I think that we will lose a lot of mindshare and
> users if Open Office comes out with new releases all the time and we get
> stuck.People will start to think of KOffice as a dead project.
>
> Thus, I think that we should start planning for a release of version 1.4
> *soon* with OASIS support as an option.  Then we can  release the complete
> OASIS based Koffice as 2.0 later.  In my opinion, OASIS is such a big
> milestone that I think that it actually warrants a 2.0 stamp, and we need
> to come out with a new version promply.

I am a bit surprised that there were no reactions to this other than Raphaels
piece.  So I would hereby liket to start a little poll to see if other people
think like I. Please add to this little table your name, which part of
KOffice you represent and what you think about the following statement:

"I think that the current HEAD branch of KOffice has a lot of valuable
features that users would want / need, that KOffice 1.4 should be released
soon, and that OASIS file format as the default file format can wait until
the next release."

Name   Program / KOffice component(s) Opinion
Inge Wallin  KChart      yes
Raphael Langerhorst KChart, KSpread    yes

Two points:
1. I took the liberty of adding Raphaels opinion to the list as a service to
him since he already made it clear in his mail what he thinks (and so that I
got some support from the start. :-)  ).
2. I really hope that the <tab>s line up so that the table doesn't look
strange in all your mail readers.

Mail away!

 -Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |