List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice_logos
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-01-31 10:13:53

Hi Andrey,

On Monday 31 January 2005 00:20, Андрей Дубинин  wrote:
> Hello Raphael!
> Thanks, I will make all KOffice icons. Please give me time.
> I'll send this Icons more. And of course I'll need opinion.
> Maybe I'll make 4-5 versions and we well found the best.

Please, take all the time you need :) It would be good to have the
icons ready for KOffice 1.4, so you have at least a month. But it's
good of course if there is time enough to decide on which icon set to
use.

Please be aware that many users are particularly used to some existing
icons (and KWord, KSpread and KPresenter seem to have a consistent
look). Especially the KWord one is commonly known, it has been in the
default kicker panel for a long time now. This is what David wrote:

On Sunday 30 January 2005 19:58, David Faure wrote:
> IMHO it would be good to keep the current kword/kpresenter/kspread
> icons at least (*). They look consistent to me, and they are indeed
> known by all users. My suggestion would be that new icons are made
> only for the other apps, with the same look. Just my 2 cents.
>
> (*) kchart seems to have the same design too, the rounded-square
> thing

IMHO, if you really like to do a complete set - you're very welcome to
do so - then it's also ok to replace these icons if they don't fit
into your design(s). Just be aware of this issue. But as I said, if
your icon set(s) are really great, I don't think there will be any
big issue.

Maybe some personal impression: I like light and cheerful colors,
probably much like the icon demo you provided with
"big_demo_Y_Pastel_2" or even the nuno icon set (the arrows are not
very professional though, IMO).

Darker colors like the ... "Slick" or "iKons" KDE icon sets are of
course also good quality, but I think it's not so suitable as a
default and in particular not much my prefered style.

That's of course just my opinion here. If any KOffice dev/user has any
particular preference you are of course welcome to send Andrey your
opinion on that.

> About "K" - it was just example of style. In next time I'll
> send really icons.
> So I have nuno_pngs.tar.gz...
> If I understand I must make such full set? If so - I'm glad!(but
> answer me). I need all examples(current, with current filenames)to
> make all complete.Please help. Take care.
> Andrey.

Yes, you can do a full set. I think many icons are included in the
nuno set, but David pointed out that there are still some missing, so
it's not fully complete.

You can find all icons that are used in KOffice in the sourcecode.

You only need the development sourcecode and can get it this way:
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde
cvs login
cvs co koffice

You can then update the sourcecode anytime in the koffice directory
with:
cvs up

If you are interested in more details, see
http://www.koffice.org/download/source.php
and
http://developer.kde.org/source/anoncvs.html

You can also download the source via ftp:
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/koffice.tar.bz2

... but I guess you know most of it anyway, just wrote it here for
sure.

The directories, that include all icons, are the following:

koffice/karbon/pics
koffice/kchart/pics
koffice/kexi/pics
koffice/kformula/pics
koffice/kivio/kiviopart/pics
koffice/kplato/pics
koffice/kpresenter/pics
koffice/krita/pics
koffice/kspread/pics
koffice/kspread/plugins/calculator/pics
koffice/kugar/kudesigner/pics
koffice/kword/pics
koffice/lib/kformula/pics
koffice/lib/kofficeui/pics
koffice/pics

You get this list if you execute "find koffice_directory -name pics".
The good thing about the icons being in many dirs is that you know
which application they belong to ;)

>  P.S. ALSO, I sent to you 2 wallpapers - this is transparent,
> therefore to take effect you can customise gradient on your
> desktop, please check it 8)). Also I look at programmer to make new
> player for linux(or make skin for such as noatun). In weekend I was
> rest and begin skin for winamp(sorry...8-))))(see Y_amp_demo.png)
> What you think?

winamp? or xmms? looks kind of "evil" (not "bad evil", but not
particularly "my" style), but great still :)

The background wallpapers are great, especially the one with the grid
and the large Y sphere in the middle. Almost any gradient looks good
with it!

I have put all these things up on:
ftp://ftp.g-system.at/people/raphael/tmp/koffice_icons/

What you sent so far is in the "demos" directory. I also put up the
nuno package.
David, if you want you can fetch the things to your site as well. I
don't mind having these things lying around until we're done with the
icons though. But we can also have two places for that.

Best wishes and good luck with the icons! I guess we're all looking
forward to them, in particular the logo and missing application
icons :)
Raphael

PS: for the koffice devs: I think Andrey is not registered to the
mailing list, please cc him on reply.