List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Arbitrary precision in KSpread ?
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-01-22 18:04:52

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:01:29 +0100, Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de> wrote:
> You will need to set the precision anyway for decimal numbers. Somebody might
> need only 20 or so digits, some might want 100, some might need 1000 digits
> (and would not care too much about computing time).
>
> > Then we could use doubles by default, and switch to MP upon request...
>
> Yes, I suppose even that it should be selectable document by document (of
> course GnuMP would only be supported only if KSpread can find the GnuMP
> runtime library.)

Hmmm, yeah. Of course, this is kinda a long-term thing, for now on, I
only need to know whether to code stuff flexibly enough. Hence, the
conclusion is yes.

> > Mmmm... Complex numbers might be interesting too... Heh, we may end up
>
> By the way: if you want to test something in this direction, gcc support
> complex numbers.

Yup, heard of that, never used it though.

> > with KSpread being turned into some computer algebra system
> > eventually... ;)
>
> Some want this for KFormula. ;-)

Ouch. Well, if the core/GUI separation goes well enough for KSpread,
then maybe... ;)

> > What test application ? Like, the parser separated from the rest ? Hmmm ...
> Not sure! I thought more of using QTable and make a mini-spreadsheet. But I do
> not know what you need as code or what you would need to test more.

Hm, I believe that this isn't really needed, I can as well test using
the full thing ...

/ Tomas