List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RFC: Arbitrary precision in KSpread ?
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-01-21 13:26:00

Hi everyone,

been kinda silent recently, but I'll get to do some more improvings
soon. In the process of doing so, I was pondering some ideas, and now
I'm a bit at doubt...

Would it be a good idea to have arbitrary precision support in KSpread
(I've seen it mentioned in the TODO file, or something like that -
with GnuMP or however was that library called).

Now then, having such support would mean, that many computations would
be more precise, but there would also be a performance hit, even for
computations that don't use the library, due to the fact that
everything will have to be written in a more abstract form (I want to
make it so anyway, but maybe not as much as it would be needed if
arbitrary precision had to be taken care of). Of course, the
performance penalty won't be big, I doubt anyone would notice it on
standard-size sheets - but might be a problem with really huge
things... It would also mean more complex code.

Now then, herein lies my question - would it be worth the trouble,
trying to put in this arbitrary precision support ? Would there be
enough interest from the users in having this feature ?

Note that this doesn't mean that I would be adding this feature now,
it's just about whether I should write stuff in a way such that adding
this feature would be as easy as possible, or simply not to care...

/ Tomas